Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sims 3: Athena Sparks 34

 After getting some adequate rest, I dress and leave the house to face the inevitable…it’s time to find out if I’m pregnant.
 The taxi pulls up in front of the hospital.
 After what feels like forever, I slowly make my way up to the doors.  Realizing that taking my time to get there, won’t change the facts so I go ahead and enter.
 My wait is short.  My heart is pounding as the nurse calls my name.  She leads me to an examining room, takes my blood pressure and a blood sample. Then she asks me to undress from the waist down.  After she leaves,  I put on the white paper thin gown she gives me and wait for the doctor.
 The doctor walks in with the blood test results in hand.  “Well Mrs. Sparks-”


“Miss Sparks,” I correct slightly embarrassed.


“Sorry…Miss Sparks, your blood work confirms that you are pregnant.  Congratulations!”

 The doctor then examines me and tells me that everything looks good.  He warns me that because I’m older, I need to get plenty of rest and to be very careful not to participate in any strenuous activities.  In a daze, I quickly redress and leave the hospital.
 “I’m pregnant…I’m actually pregnant,” I say to myself.
 It’s such a shock to finally be able to say those words that I have to sit down on the nearest bench to steady myself.  “Oh my God!”  I say out loud.  “I’m going to be a mother!”
 As the shock begins to wear off, I can feel myself becoming a little excited.  I never thought at my age that I’d ever get the chance to become a mother. I figure my child bearing opportunities had long passed me by.  Yet here I am…finally carrying a new life.
 As my exhilaration level rises, I feel a need to tell someone.  Although I’m sure Wendell would be OK with the news, I’m not sure if he’d have the fervor that I need right now.  I dial Lisette’s number instead.
 As usual, Lisette answers right away.  “Hey Athena!  How’s it going?” She asks.


“Are you sitting down?” I ask to build up her anticipation.

 “What?  What is it?”  She asks.  I call tell by her voice that she’s not sitting, but instead jumping up and down, waiting for my news.


“I just found out that I’m pregnant,” I announce.  At first I don’t hear anything.  “
Lisette?”  I ask wondering if she’s still on the line.
 Lisette takes a breath.  I can’t tell whether she’s upset or not.  “I’m going to be an auntie!”  She says with the excitement that I’ve grown to expect from her.


I smile at her use of the term
auntie.  “Yes, you’ll be aunt Lisette,” I say playing along.
 “OH MY GOD, Athena!  Does Wendell know yet?  What did he say?  Yay! We get to go baby shopping!  We have to baby proof the house!  Will I get to babysit?”  She asks with her amazing ability to hold off on stopping to take a breath for long periods of time.
 LisetteLisette,” I say trying to stop her non-stop questions.  “Lisette…I have to go,” I manage to squeeze when she finally takes a breath.


“OK.  I'm so happy for you Athena!”  She says before hanging up.

 I hang up the phone.  Now I have to tell Wendell and I’m just not sure how he’s going to feel about the whole thing.  We barely know each other, and here I am, forced to tell him that I’m having his baby.
 I get home and chicken out on calling him.  As I pull a gallon size container of Cookies n Cream ice cream out of the freezer, my phone rings.  I know it’s him.
 “Hello,” I answer.


“Hey…how did it go at the hospital?”  Wendell asks, which is the last question that I want to answer.

 “Well…I’m…I’m pregnant,” I answer.


He is silent for a little while.  I patiently give him a chance to let it soak in. 

 “OK.  Can you meet me at the park where we met?” He asks.


“Yes,” I answer.

 I hang up feeling horrible.  I wonder why he wants to meet at the park instead of here at the house.  I’m guessing that he wants to end things in a neutral spot instead of here in my home.


The last thing I want to do is to force fatherhood on him. I decide that I’ll let him know that he doesn’t have to be involved with the baby at all if he doesn’t want to.

 I sit down and eat the ice cream, but I can’t taste it.  My mouth does what it’s supposed to do, but my mind is disengaged.  All I can think about is losing Wendell.
Before I know it, I’ve finished the whole container.  Now the ice cream sits in my stomach like a clump pushed to the side by anxiety.  I leave to meet Wendell at the park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment