Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sims 3: Athena Sparks 2

Although books are my life…my whole life…like literally, I’m not here to read today.  My eyes go straight to the computer across the way.
I walk over to it and just stand there staring for a few moments.  This one electronic device just may be the key to me living the life I want to live…a successful professional writer.
Now you may be thinking to yourself, ‘aren’t you a little old to just now be beginning a new career?  What have you been doing all of this time?’  Well, I started out as a teacher, only I wasn’t so good at it.  The kids ran all over me and that was just the preschool kids.  I shudder to think what teaching high school would have been like. 
I decided to leave teaching to the professionals and do something that is actually suited for someone like me.  Me…alone in a room with an electronic device that will never stare at me when I commit yet another social faux pas.  Let’s just say I’ve never been a social butterfly.  To be honest, social situations with people I don’t know stress me out. 
I figured that since I love books so much, it would be right up my alley to contribute to the literary world.  The only problem…so far, the only thing I’ve managed to write are entries into my diary and who would want to read that?
Well, today is the day that I start my novel…my potential best seller…you know, my Bridgeport Times Best Seller.  A girl can dream, right?
Okay, so maybe that thought process is premature.  First, I need to begin with a letter, that leads to a word, that leads to a sentence.  If I’m lucky, maybe I can get a whole page typed.
Just as the words begin to flow, the computer freezes.  Panic fills me as I press button after button praying for a miracle.  When was the last time I saved?
I resist the impulse to punch the computer screen as I realize that I hadn’t saved.  I’ve been writing for over 20 minutes and completed two whole pages and hadn’t saved once.
Realizing that these are the type of set backs that cause many a potential writer to give up writing all together, I decide to keep moving forward and start over.  Maybe this will be even better the second time, I attempt to convince myself.
I type a few words and suddenly hit a road block.  My sentences are choppy and my ideas are weak.  Every author interviewed that I’ve ever read or seen on TV says that the key to completing a novel is to just keep writing, even when everything that you type sucks. I decide to follow that advice.
I reread what I’ve written so far.  Terrible!   This is absolutely terrible.


I am now totally unmotivated.  I’m no fool, I know a lost cause when I’m confronted with one.  I’ll try again tomorrow.
For now, I leave the library and head home.
If I hurry home, maybe I can catch a passing glimpse of Desmond as he heads home for the day.  This thought puts a bit of pep in my step.
The taxi passes the hospital and of course I look, hoping that he’s still there.  No such luck.
Back at home, with nothing to do, I head to my book shelf searching for any book there that I haven’t read yet.
I open the book and immerse myself into another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment