Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sims 3: Athena Sparks 11

 Somehow, I make my way into Desmond’s house without falling on my face or running away.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that this is a bad time,” I say once I get inside.
 Desmond has company which instantly makes me feel uneasy as my shyness creeps up on me.  “I can come back another time,” I continue.
 “No, no, It’s fine,” Desmond tries to assure me.  “Let me introduce you.”
 The thought of trying to come up with something to say to Desmond is quite enough, but trying to hold a conversation with two additional people that I don’t know is the last thing I want to do.  In fact, it would be a slow torture for me.
 Before I have a chance to protest, Desmond is already introducing me to his guests. 


“Bert, this is my new neighbor Athena.  Athena, this is Bert,” Desmond says.

 “Good to meet you Athena, how are you liking Hidden Springs?” Bert asks.


“Uh…it’s fine,” I answer.  Then there is silence.  This is where most people would add a little more to the conversation.  Me…I just leave it at that.  I was never good at small talk.

 Bert just stands there waiting for me to say something else, but I have no idea what he wants to hear.  The silence in the house is awkward with everyone just waiting.
 Desmond bails me out by clearing his voice, “Um, this is Eunice,” he says introducing me to his other guest. 


“Hi, nice to meet you,” I manage to say; sure that she can feel my nervousness through my sweaty palms.

 I don’t even attempt to make small talk with Eunice.  I make my way back over to Desmond; desperate to escape the expectancy to make nice and tell strangers more about myself.
 “Uh, thank you for having me in.  I have to be at work in an hour, so I’d better get home,” I say to Desmond.
 Desmond appears to be disappointed.  “But you just got here.  Can I at least offer you some coffee?”
 I sneak a quick glance over at Eunice and Bert and my stomach does an anxious flip.  I gotta get out of here, I say to myself.  “Um, can I take a rain check on that?” I ask, hopeful that he would even want to be bothered with someone so socially inept.
 “OK…Don’t be a stranger,” Desmond says.  I can’t help but wonder if he is just being polite or if he’d really like to have me visit again.
 The smile on his face seems genuine when I tell him that I would try to  visit again at another time.
 I turn and walk toward the door; surprised to still be standing.  I did it!  I did it! I cheer to myself as I leave.
 I actually managed to introduce myself and have a conversation, albeit brief, with Desmond Bailey.  I am so proud of myself.
 I walk out the door and exhale. Now I wonder if I’ll have the nerve to ever return.
I walk toward my house with a fresh sense of excitement.  My heart flutters with the possibility of me actually getting to know Desmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment