Monday, January 2, 2012

Sims 3: Athena Sparks 16

 I would say that the unexpected happened this morning, but somehow that word just doesn’t fit.  It ‘s actually a miracle.
 Just as I am making my bed, the phone rings.  I don’t even bother checking the caller ID.  I just assume that it’s Lisette, but instead I hear a very deep voice, “Can I speak to Athena?”


“Uh,” I say, before I recover from my surprise enough to answer,” Yes, this is Athena.”

 “Good morning.  This is Desmond,” the voice says.


Now, I pride myself on being a fairly intelligent person, but at this moment my mind either panics or just blanks out on me, because suddenly my brain cannot form any words.

 “Uh, Athena…did I catch you at a bad time?”


At this point my mouth opens, which is usually what happens when a person is getting ready to speak, but in my case, that is all that happens.  My mouth opens but no words come out.

 “Hello?  Are you there?” Desmond says his voice sounding flustered as he suspects that his phone has cut out on him.


Finally my mind and mouth begin to cooperate.  “Yes…uh…sorry about that.”


“Hey, I was wondering if you’d like to cash in on that rain check…you know, you said you’d take a rain check on coming by for coffee.”

 I agree to meet Desmond at his house in a half hour.  I make my way to the bathroom to quickly bathe and dress; while my mind is still numb from shock and not able to register that I should be nervous right now.
 I finish my bath and immediately go into panic mode.  OH God!  I don’t know what to say to Desmond.  I grab my cell phone and call the chattiest person that I know for advise.
 Lisette answers the phone on the second ring.  “Lisette!  I need your help!”


“What!  What’s wrong?”  She asks in a voice that let’s me know that I’ve scared her. It also gives me some insight on how panicked my own voice probably sounds.

 “It’s nothing bad.  Do you remember I mentioned my neighbor Desmond the other day?”


“Yes, the one you said had the dreamy eyes and smile to die for,” Lisette answers sounding very interested.  I can picture her sitting at the edge of her seat.

 “Well he asked me over for coffee,” I say in a squeak of a voice.


“Uh…that’s good…right?” Lisette asks confused by my tone.


“Yes!” I say with extra enthusiasm.  “But…I have no idea what to say to him!”

 After laughing at my silliness, Lisette coaches me through a few good conversation starters.  I hang up the phone feeling confident and ready…
 …that is, until I walk out the door.
 And with each step, my confidence dwindles and my steps become awkward and clumsy.
 As I cross the road in front of his house, I feel as if I’m going to hyperventilate.  You would think I was walking a ‘green mile ‘ to face an executioner.
 I attempt to calm myself by telling myself that I have nothing to be anxious about.  Desmond invited me over.  Obviously, he wants to see me.
 I ring the doorbell, and Desmond opens the door quickly, as if he was standing right by it the whole time.
 My stomach does a flip.  I place my hands there to calm it.
 I try to be discreet, but when I look up, I see that Desmond has noticed me holding my stomach.
 He grabs my hand to shake it.  “You OK?”  he asks with a smile on his face.


I inhale quietly.  I use this breath as a breath of confidence.  “Of course,” I say.  “I just realized that I forgot to eat breakfast.”

 “Maybe we can do something about that,” Desmond says, before asking me to enter the house.


Eunice, the lady I met the last time I was here is sitting on the couch.  She nods her head in acknowledgment and continues watching her TV program.

 Odd, I think to myself.  Why would he invite me over if he already has company? Now I’m uncomfortable.
 “I’m so glad that you could come by!” Desmond says.
 “is this a bad time?” I ask.


“No, why would you…Oh…Eunice’s house is undergoing renovation, so she’s staying here for a few days.”

 “Oh,” I say, not sure that my voice sounds very convincing.
 Desmond reacts to my tone of voice. “I guess it is sort of odd to invite you over when I have a guest.  I’m sorry.  It’s just that I was so anxious to see you again.”
 “Really?  Why?” I ask, although it’s sort of an unusual question to ask at this moment.  I’m sure Lisette would know not to ask such a question.
 “It’s just…our other meetings have been so awkward…” he begins. 


Damn!  He noticed, I think to myself. 


“I just wanted a chance to make it up to you.”  He continues.

 I’m not sure how to respond, so I allow him to keep talking.


“Now, you say you didn’t have breakfast and I owe you a cup of coffee.  Would you like to go to the diner?”

 I think about it a minute.  I don’t want to ask, but I hope that he doesn’t plan on inviting Eunice.  I consider saying no just in case he does plan on bringing her along.
“Sure!” I answer instead.


“Eunice, I’m heading to the diner,” Desmond begins.  I can feel the disappointment creeping in because I know that he’s going to ask her to come.  Instead, he says,” I’ll be back shortly.”  I let out a breath of relief.



No comments:

Post a Comment