Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sims 3: Athena Sparks 22

 Wendell politely remains outside with Cupid while I begin preparing lunch.
 I prepare a simple salad and Wendell finally comes in and joins me.
 I’ve spent so many days imagining a man sitting across from me at my kitchen table, but somehow Wendell is not who I imagined.
 Again, my eyes scan his tattoos wondering what’s the story behind them.
 I retreat back into my internal dialogue, the total opposite of the person I was moments ago, chatting away in the park.
 I don’t know why I’m suddenly uncomfortable around Wendell.  Maybe it’s because I invited him over, although I know nothing about him.  I try to think of something to talk about, so that I’m not being rude.
 “So what do you do Wendell?  Do you live here in Hidden Springs?”


He takes a bite of his salad before answering.  I can detect some hesitation.

“I just moved here a few weeks ago.  I’m currently between jobs…still trying to feel my way around the town.”


“Uh…what made you move here?  Are you trying to escape from something?” I’m ashamed as soon as the words leave my mouth.  I’m not immune to an occasional social faux pas.

“What are you implying? I haven’t escaped from anything.  I just moved here because I like it here,” Wendell answers clearly aware that something has changed in my attitude toward him.
 I’ve now made us both uncomfortable.  I excuse myself from the table to wash my dish.  As soon as I turn on the water, water begins bursting out of the faucet. 


“Damn!” I swear.


“I can fix that for you,” Wendell says jumping up.

 “No!”  I say with more force than I intended.  I don’t know why I’m being this way toward him.  He’s the same person that I was just talking to in the park, but now I’ve allowed my paranoia to take control.


Again, I have offended him.  “I’m sorry, I’ll just excuse myself,” he says, sounding slightly hurt.

 Wendell begins walking out the door, and I know that I should stop him and apologize, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.  Instead, I call up a repairman to come and fix my sink.
 He leaves and I feel bad about it.
 Stupid me, then goes to the computer and type his name into my search engine.  If he’s a criminal, surely his name will come up. 
 The repair woman arrives while I’m still searching my computer for Wendell Harding.
The only thing that I come across is a blog that he has created where he writes book reviews.
 I read a few of his posts and I’m instantly impressed.  Not only does he appear to be well read, but he’s a good writer.  His reviews are well written and nothing short of incredible.
 My heart sinks, because I realize that I’ve messed up a potentially good friendship.  Only it’s too late to do anything about it tonight.  I pray that I get a chance to make it right.
 I prepare a bubble bath; where I soak and attempt to shift through my thoughts.
Then it hits me like a ton of bricks…Wendell may be tattooed and mysterious, but he and I are perfectly compatible.  That type of thing cannot be faked.

No comments:

Post a Comment